Seattle: Though Google has not confirmed the name of Android M officially, it has revealed some details about the new OS update in a recent conference where it launched the developer preview of the OS. According to the Senior VP of Google, the company has gone back to the basics with this new Android version. In Android Lollipop, we had seen a lot of enhancements made on visual aesthetics; but in Android M, it looks like the company has given preference for the stability and usability improvements.
Here are the 6 major features of Android M outlined by senior VP of Google:
- App permissions: In earlier versions of Android, users had to accept all the permissions if they had to download an application. But with Android M, permissions have been simplified. You will be requested for the permission when you use any feature for the first time. You can accept or deny the permissions based on the necessities. For example, In WhatsApp, if you want to record a voice message, you will receive a prompt requesting for the permission to use your mic. You can give the access to your mic if you wish to. But you will not be forced to accept it.
- Web experience: With the intention to provide a better user-experience, Google has been continuously researching on the ways that the web contents are being used and has come up with a solution called Chrome custom tab. This tab allows you to open a customized Chrome tab on the active app itself instead of launching the Chrome app separately.
- Fingerprint support: In Android M, we can see much more standardized fingerprint scanners than what we are using in Lollipop version. Using this new feature, you can not only unlock your phones but can also make purchases in real life or within Play Store. But, you need to have a hardware fingerprint scanner to use this feature.
- Mobile payments: Android Pay is a new mobile payment system designed by Google to make the checkout process easier and faster. The main aim of Google is to offer simplicity and high security with Android Pay. This new payment system allows you to use your existing credit cards to make payments in most of the stores in US.
- App links: In the earlier versions of Android, when a user clicks on a weblink, they were asked to choose the browser to open the link. This will no longer be the case as Android M is aware of which apps to use to open that particular content. For example, if you tap on a Facebook link, Facebook app will be opened automatically without asking you to select the app to open the link.
- Power and charging: Android M comes with a new feature called Doze which helps in improving the standby time of your device. This feature makes use motion detectors and identifies that the device has not been used for a while (while sleeping or when it’s kept in a place for long time) and reduces the background processes.
Outsourcing Android apps development in Seattle? Try us out! Fortune Softtech is one of the interactive mobile app development companies based out in Seattle. We strive to reach up to the expectations of the clients as we are aware that our success depends on the clients’ satisfaction. Just get in touch with us and let us know your requirements. We will come up with an ideal solution that matches with the current trends.